Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2004 BMW 318i saloon automatic, which has only done about

My 2004 BMW 318i saloon automatic, which has only done about 51,000 miles, has developed a lot of vibration for a short while when pulling away from cold. My local BMW main dealer says it is not an engine fault, so I do not have to worry that the engine will 'break' expensively. However, they cannot find the cause of the fault. Any thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
It is difficult to know how to answer requests for "thoughts"
Can you please clarify what question you would like answered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was hoping you might know what was causing the vibration and how it might be cured.

Hope this helps,

Regards, David

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what part of the car is the vibration coming from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems to be coming from the front of the car, in or near the engine compartment.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

as I am sure you can appreciate it is very difficult to diagnose a vibration that one cannot experience first hand. I will, in good faith, make every effort to share relevant information and ideas about your issue. I hope this is appreciated.

if the vibion is from the front of the car, and only exists when cold, then unfortunately it points almost certainly to an engine issue - there are not many other parts in the front end that would exhibit a temperature dependent vibration

common causes of this type of thing would be a bad temp sensor, a fuel pressure problem (leaky injectors, fuel pump, check valve, etc) or air leak

as for front end, no engine parts that coud cause vibration, these would be engine mounts, wheel bearings, and suspension components, but I do suspect the issue is engine related based on your description

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.