Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a bmw 318d (2010 reg) at the weekend I decided

Hi , I have a bmw 318d (2010 reg) at the weekend I decided to fit some Msport interior which I brought second hand.
I disconnected the battery when I put the two front seats then reconnected afterwards."I did knock the headlight switch in by accident though , but it pulled back out.
There is now a light on my dash in red - car on a ramp - fault code CC-id 231 , My lights now stay on , there are no indicators or hazards lights, no lights to light up the clocks e.g speedo and revs and also the two front windows are not working.
Do you think this was caused by disconnecting the battery / changing the interior or damaging the headlight button?
And would it be an easy fix or dose it need to be reprogrammed at BMW?
Steve
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Have you had the fault logs read from the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet I have an auto electrician coming out tomorrow. Thought I would ask the question before hand to try and save myself some money before I get him out.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the ccid code you have stands for:

Lighting system! Stop the vehicle carefully

Check displays and possibly turn signals, foglights, main-beam headlights and headlight flasher inoperable.

Stop the vehicle, check and continue journey with care. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW Service.

you have asked: Do you think this was caused by disconnecting the battery / changing the interior or damaging the headlight button?

it could have been caused by either but more likely the battery if anything. it is likely an internal fault within the footwell module which controls all lighting

this will not be an easy fix, and auto electrician probably won't be able to do much - I would skip him (save the money) and take the vehicle for proper diagnosis at a BMW garage with the equipment necessary for this (and yes programming would be required if the footwell module is replaced).

be sure to check fuses if you have not, just in case

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.