Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

EveryoneI am having problems with a BMW 530i MY 2003.The

Hi everyone
I am having problems with a BMW 530i MY 2003.The idrive shows.Active steering fault.steering behaviour altered,steering wheel may be at an angle.
Errors:Airbag 1,Power steering CU malfunction.Can communication with electrical power steering timeout.
Brake CU,Active steering (AFS) can message.Signal compare,steering angle and yaw rate not plausible.
I cannot connect with Dynamic drive CU.
I replaced the battery and reset ok,checked all the wires ok.
Thank you in advance.
Sergio.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sergio,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Hello Sergio,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

I would appreciate if you found someone to assist me as I have plenty of time with this car being a Company car.As a Professional I need to know, one way or another,what is wrong with the car.

Sergio.

Hello Sergio,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sergio

I'd say that you may have a faulty steering angle sensor in addition to there being bad communication between the body control module and the main ECU

I'd say locate the BCM ( BMW call it the GM module)

its located on the fire wall below/behind the glove box and disconnect it so you can inspect the pins for corrosion or damage

if this looks OK then I'd be prepared to have to replace this unit, unfortunatly its a dealer only job as it has to be coded to match the car

sorry its not a more DIY solution
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Matt,

thank you for replying,just a question I have another identical 530 in workshop can I try to fit that BCM?.

Sergio.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sergio

its worth a go but I'm about 90% sure that the module needs to be matched to the main ECU
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I think so too.For main ECU you mean Power steering Control Unit am I correct? I will let you know.Thanks for now

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Understood good luck