Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

On a 1998 Bmw 525td touring is it possible to change the rear

On a 1998 Bmw 525td touring is it possible to change the rear air suspension for the coil and shock absorber set up from a 1995 model?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

it is not possible to fit the exact 95 system as these are different vehcile platforms

however, there are conversion kits available to delete the rear air suspension, here is one good one:

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/BMW-5-Series-suspension.php

bavauto also I believe has one

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The conversion kits are v. expensive, and defeats the reason I want to change is the car is not worth much and I am trying to do a cheap repair. I have a scrap earlier model. I had been told that it is realitively easy. Tomorrow I will compare the fitting

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome.

it is not a direct fit from the previous model

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I have just checked and compared both rear suspensions and you are correct, thanks. Another question,what is the approx price of a new air unit and maybe a s/h unit. Is it worth the expense

Alan

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi,

I cannot answer a second question until I receive proper credit for anwering the original question.

as the original question has been fully answered, please kindly click on a possible rating.

once I have received credit for the original answer, I will be happy to answer a second question for no additional charge, but cannot do so until I have been credited with the original, complete answer.

thank you in advance.