Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a bmw 3 series petrol 2L 2008, my mechanic found

Customer Question

Hi i have a bmw 3 series petrol 2L 2008, my mechanic found bits of the timing chain guard in my sump causing oil pressure loss when i put my foot down so he has put a new timing chain and kit on it, i just picked it up and drove home and its realy noisy and bad vibrations it drove so smooth before and now it drives and sounds like my astra van, hes a bit of a jack the lad and i have zero knowledge on cars im going out of my mind with worry and need a second opinion, any advice would be much appreciated, do you think it might not have been lined up properly because some thing feels out many thanks.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

if the engine is running much worse than before and vibrating and making noise, then he definitely did something wrong. could be incorrect tightening of components, incorrect alignment, etc.

I would strongly advise that you have the car inspected immediately by a main dealer or BMW specialist as serious damage could result form further diriving in this condition

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just spoke to him and he said that there was a dodgey connection on the coil to the spark plug do you think that it could cause the problems ive described
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

yes that is possible

the only way to know 100% is to fix that issue and re test

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok hes going to have a look tomorow cheers, ***** ***** says he dont know what it is and i take it to bmw how much do you think it would cost to if the had to re aligne the timing chain just a ball park figure for worst case scenario? Many thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
12 to 15 hours at the stated shop rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok many thanks steve
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
you are welcome