Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My Bmw 320d reverse gear doesnt engage. all other gear works

my Bmw 320d reverse gear doesnt engage. all other gear works perfectly fine. what might be the issue?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

unfortunately this is normally due to a catastrophic internal transmission failure such as a failed valve body, solenoid issue or simple failure of reverse gear

99% chances are the transmission will need to be opened for this repair.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i need to change my gear box? or it can be done in simple way??
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

as I outlined, there is more than one thing that can cause this

if it is one of the bigger ones, you will be best served by having the gearbox fully overhauled or replaced

if by chance it is a simpler issue such as a solenoid or even low fluid level, then this will not require such a large fix

whether or not a large fix / overhaul / replacement is required cannot be said until the cause is conclusively identified

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
I ma basic here . whats solenoid and how do i check and xhange the low fluid level??