Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Yellow warning came on, went to garage. They said problem with

Yellow warning came on, went to garage. They said problem with emissions due to the fact I only drive short distances.
The did diagnostic and reset. I drove it for 40 miles in manual with high reves.
Light came back on.
Took back to garage the replaced the Nox sensor regenerated,loaded updates and regenerated. They took it for a drive and were fairly confident that it was fixed.
10 miles later light on again. Cost so far £700.
I need some advice, I am also getting the exhaust checked.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what light exactly is coming on and what fault is being logged in the cars computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't have a name, pg 154 of the manual if that helps.
Warning light is yellow - book says,
Engine fault with adverse effect on exhaust emissions.
The garage said to when the did the check the emissions were too high, thus the reason for replacing the Nox sensor. I think they were suggesting it might have to be a new cat converter next.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked

the "increased emissions" warning light means nothing specific - there are close to 200 reasons this light can come on, most of the benign.

this could be anything from a simple sensor or loose gas cap to catastrophic engine failure.

you have asked for advice, and given what informationo I have, my advice is this:

I would strongly advise you have a proper scan and testing carried out by a reputable BMW garage - it souds like the current garage is guessing with your money and no familiarity with this vehicle.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.