Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2000 528i auto.She drives perfect when I go to

I have a 2000 528i auto. She drives perfect when I go to work or first thing in the morning. Bur when I come home I start the car and it goes into limp with a message transmission mode plus the speedo and the fuel diving gauge stops working.

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What faults are logged in the car's fault memory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have not been given any fault codes

They cleared all the faults as they said they where all old.

We where told if it happened again we would need an oil change which we had done but the fault is still there,

The only improvement from the oil change is when you put in reverse it is smoother,

they also said the gearbox was over filled

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

do any other warning lights come on such as the abs light, dsc, etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no warning lights on

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on s Saturday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

if the transmission is going into limp mode, the car will be recording relevant, current faults relating to the cause of the limp mode - this will be required for a full diagnostics. If the shop you tool the vehicle to said there were none, then they do not have the proper equipment to read transmission codes and were likely only reading old engine codes. A proper scan with a tool that can read transmission codes will be required to verify this issue.

given what you have described, I can suggest a likely cause:

the speedo going out indicates a problem with the vehicle's reading of road speed from the abs system. A road speed reading is a required input for the transmission to operate properly, so it goes into limp mode. This would be most likely caused by an abs system failure, or by a vehicle communication network issue elsewhere.

if you need a non dealer option for a proper diagnostic on the transmission and the abs system, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.