Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My daughter brought her 318 touring air con top up and

My daughter brought her 318 touring for an air con top up and when she drove of the temp light went to amber and then red so she went back. The claim this is a fan or water pump fault and just coincidence - nothing to do with them. Is that plausible? Thanks frank
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what exactly was done with the aircon and why?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aircon wasn't cooling she took to be regassed at ATS euromaster and the amber then red temp fault occured as she drove off the forecourt.

Frank

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on s Saturday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

if all they did was fill the compressor then this is coincidental. there is no reason anything with the water pump would be impacted with a re-gas

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so I take it there is no interaction between the aircon system and the engine cooling system?

Is it reasonable to assume that such immediate overheating is likely to be a pump problem [is that a big job on a 318?]

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.
There is a link between the cooling system and aircon. A non functioning cooling system can prevent the aircon from working, however, this is the opposite direction of influence.
Most common would be a water pump or thermostat for an overheat. Both should be replaced at the same time regardless. It is not a big job.