Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My BMW X5 3i 2003 coolant totally evaporates if I use the

Hi, my BMW X5 3i 2003 coolant totally evaporates if I use the A/C. There is no leak. The fan in the front does not run. When stopped in traffic I could see the heat indicator goes towards the red section pretty quick. But, there is no leak. Can you help what might be the possible cause? Thanks.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The problem is most likely a failure of the fan itself. Other comon causes of an overheat are a failed water pump or thermostat
In order to verify there is no leak a pressure test and leak down test should be carried out.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If its water pump there should be coolant leak. At present there is not a single drop of coolant fluid drip I see on the floor.

If its Thermostat then it will not get cooled at all. When I switch on the a/c it does cool. When I am in the motorway I could sense the coolant does not evaporate away easily. When I go into city with a/c on and traffic I could see the cooling getting down slowly and temperature needle raise.

The moment the vehicle moves faster and into motorway I could see the temperature needle come to needle pretty quick.

Given all these observations to guide in identifying the most likely cause. I suppose it seems to be the fan as I have seen or heard the fan working.

Please provide more guidance. Thanks.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.
As I stated, it is most likely the fan and the fan clutch should also be checked.
A water pump failure WITHOUT leak is the most common pump failure on a bmw. I do not think it is the pump but have added this for robustness.
Again, the fan is most likely the issue and can only be tested with a bmw scan tool as it is directly activated by the engine computer via pulse width modulated signal.
As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan failure seems to be the likely cause as the moment the vehicle moves faster or gets out from the traffic the temp needle immediately moves towards the middle. The moment I stop in the traffic it shoots up.

The cause of the failure of fan - is it something simple and easy to get fixed or is it a complex and a costly repair?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
The fan is a simple replacement. It is not terribly cheap, but it is not THAT expensive or difficult. Approx. £500 for part and install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One final information...

If its water pump - will this be very costly? how much I can expect for this?

And, will they normally do a pressure & leak test when they do the water pump or fan fix or is it done at extra cost?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Water pump and thermostat are usually changed at the same time if one fails. Approx £300 for the pair.
Expect extra charges for a leak down or pressure test in any scenario.
As the question is complete, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert