Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 320d coupe. The timing chain went on it while

I have a 320d coupe. The timing chain went on it while it was stationary and BMW have now asked for £1500 inc VAT to check the damage in full.
Any ideas about whether it would be better to pay another non BMW mechanic to repair and put this money towards that?
Thank-you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
If the chain broke with the engine running, you could have serious damage - essentially a destroyed engine.
I would suggest looking into a used engine replacement at a non-dealer bmw specialist shop.
Do not allow a non-bmw specialist to work on the car, they will not be familiar enough.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Steve

Thank-you for your answer but you haven't ready my question properly. I said to you that the vehicle was stationary not with the engine running.

Any views on what kind of damage would have happened in this state would be appreciated instead of while the engine was running.

Thank-you

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
I am sorry but you did not state that the engine was off. Only that the vehicle was stationary.
Chains typically don't break when at stand still, so I would suspect that you have bent valves.
If you are positive that the chain simply snapped while 100% shut off with no engine parts moving and none have moved since, then you could go ahead and just have the chain replaced by a bmw specialist.