Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Steve,just prchased a new key z4 used it from dealer

hi steve,just prchased a new key for 03 z4 used it from dealer to get home worked fine stopped to get shopping got back in car switched ignition on did not start straight away turned key again and car started got home parked up went to go out again turned ignition on and nothing happened, on ignition position 1 all lights came on on ignition position 2 engine does not start, nothing at all tried several times with same result, tried with old key with same results. Had no trouble with car prior to new key could there be a connection.Thanks Doug
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

it is unlikely for this to be related to the new key.

the key is recognized by the immobilizer which then signals the engine computer to allow start. The chances of a new key working fine, then somehow causing an issue after a few starts would be remote, although feasible I suppose. I have never seen this failure pattern, however, and think it is very unlikley. A bmw scan tool would be required to verify

I would suspect the issue is with the starter most likely, although there are a lot of things that can cause this type of no start. I would try unhooking the car battery for an hour, locking/unlocking mechanically a few times, checking all fuses and also trying a jump start.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert