Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Got 335d bmw and the key fob won't catch in the ignition The

Customer Question

got 335d bmw and the key fob won't catch in the ignition The key just pushes in and straight back out and then you can press the start button and away you got. I left it in drive (not park) and took the fob out. How can I get the fob to catch in the ignition?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hello, This is a failure of the key holder itself. The internal mechanism in not catching the two lock tabs on each side of the key. The fix for this will be to replace the key holder. I have seen this quite a few times. The good thing with this failure is that you can still start the vehicle by holding the key in the slot which allows the key to be read by the vehicle.I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help further. I will be heading out to work shortly but I will respond back once there if you need any further assistance. Please provide positive feedback as this is the only way I receive credit for helping today. Thank you.Best Regards,Roger
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks can I still drive it safely? How much roughly will a new key holder cost?

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
You can still drive it safely. The only thing to be cautious of is if the vehicle did stall the key would not be in the slot so it would be more difficult to restart since it would not longer be reading the key. I can get an exact cost for you at work later this morning. Can you post the last seven digits of the vehicle identification number and I will respond back with the cost for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chassis No: WBAWD72080PV99917

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. The part is not very expensive. The cost is only about $100.00 The install time is low also at about a half hour. Glad I could help with this. Please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.