Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a bmw 2005 3 series e91diesel its been running fine

I have a bmw 2005 3 series e91diesel its been running fine then i went to drive it and it didnt start towed it to a garage on saturday thought i would give it another go sunday it started and ran for about 30 mins then it only would run fotlr about 3 second and now it just cranks over but does not start warning symbols appear which are cranking too long, tyre deflated, brake warning and service symbol ive checked the pump works in the tank and traced the fuel past the filter and pre heater ive also took the pressure switch out of the common rail and there didnt seem alot of diesel in there im stuck on ideas
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help - Sorry to see you have had a wait.Before we progress - please tell me exactly where you are up to - what tests / checks have been carried now etc - Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello well ive tried the fuel pump relay module the dde relay and had the pipe off on the engine side of the fuel filter and im getting fuel up to that point but i took off the pressure switch off the coomon rail and the was only a dribble of diesel in there ive gone round most of the sensors unplug wiggled and put back on incase of bad connection does it have like a pressure switch on the fuel line before the high pressure pump as the one in the tank dont stop trying to pump when you have the ignition on but engine not running as the warning lights can come on before i start the engine

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply and further info..Ok - what you really need to be doing next is a fault code test - with plug in equipment to the cars diag socket.. this will scan the control module for relevant fault codes pertaining to what is occuring now. If you can arrange to have that done next at least - that will tell you a lot. A good mobile mech would be able to come to you if you cannot get the equipment - you need to at least have that done. Then if you give me the codes that are retrieved we can progress from there if you still need ( the equipment should give you the codes -and the definiton so you should be ok from there but Im always happy to help further if needed ).Depending on the equipment used , some will tell you the fuel pressure also - you need to know that too.... esp if the codes are not too helpful.. If the equip doesn't give the pressure reading you will need to have a pressure test done seperatley.Really - you have done all that I would have said to do so far... you are now up at the point where these tests as outlined above are next on the list so to speak..You could try a gravity feed to the pump - see if she will run then.. ( I take it you have changed the fuel filter already in case of blockages - if not , do that next )... but really, you are at the "tests" stage now to make proper progress. It is "looking" like the pump - ( and on these all "workings" are internal)... but before anyone would condemn a pump - you must run the tests as above,.....Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.-- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a ecu (dde) corroded from water