Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 1996 BMW 523 SE auto suddenly cut out and wouldn't start.

Customer Question

My 1996 BMW 523 SE auto suddenly cut out and wouldn’t start. Later it started again but stopped after 2 minutes. It would restart for 2 minutes if left a while. The garage fitted a new cam sensor but now the car runs but idles very roughly (physically shakes the car!) yet the rev meter doesn’t fluctuate? What could they have done to cause this when fitting the sensor?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hekko
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The answer to your question is that the only things they could have done would be either damaging the cam sensor or other wiring, or creating an air leak.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.