Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I can not open by rear door, the central looking doors not

Customer Question

I can not open by rear door, the central looking doors not work, neither using the door handles in side or out will open the door. 1999 e39
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is MIKE..
What have you done / tried so far--??
Rgds, MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have operated the central locking many times to see if its just a 'stuck' actuator, that did not work.

On the subject of 'stuck' actuators; I have operated the central locking and gently hit the lock mechanism area hoping to free up any possible 'stuck' actuator, this did not work.

I have checked the fuses and they are OK, as its only one door that will not open and both rear doors are on the same fuse.

I have disconnected the inner door handle, so I can get to the cable to pull it a bit further, did not work.

I have operated the inner door handle twice in succession, this is what a lot of web sites say to do, did not work.

I have actuated both the inner and outer handles together, other web sites say do this, did not work.

I have taken the door card off the working side, to see if I can actuate the lock mechanism without using the central locking, i.e. mechanically actuate the locking mechanism, I can't find a way. If I could then I would go to the non working side cut off the door card, mechanically actuate the lock mechanism, open the door and then replace the lock mechanism and the actuator.

I'm am told on web sites that there is a way of actuating the lock mechanism without the door being open when the actuator in the lock mechanism is faulty but there are no instructions on how to do this.

any help please?Cry

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
Its common on these for the door lock to seize inside the door - you may end up having to break out the panel to gain access to open the door / cure the issue - but for now.. Is the door lock button up / or down? If its down - try pulling it up at the same time pulling on the "door opener" - Try this on the outside - and the inside... Try a few different combinations - sometimes that will work.
But - if not - then the only other way to try bar removing the inner panel is to remove the outside weather strip - and use a torch -and a rod / hook arrangement down inside the door - by the glass - and sometimes you can be successful in opening the lock / door that way. ( Garages etc have "lock out kits " to do this - but you can fabricate some tools. )
IF non of the above works, then Im afraid you will have to resort to removing the panel to gain access -and then trace / cure the issue once the door is open...
Im sorry there is no magic / silver bullet on this one - those are the ways forward for you as above -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried a rod to open the door without luck,

I'm resigned to having to take the door panel off, but the question that needs answering is: once the door panel is off so I can see the lock mechanism; how do I actuate the lock to open the door. The door has to be open to fix the issue.

Early on in the question I said I took the door panel off the function side, but could not actuate the lock mechanism.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
Thank you for your reply and further info...
Yes - this is not an uncommon issue Im afraid and invariably the panel has to come off...
Once off - you nay be able to see the cause of the whole issue - looking inside the door but you will need to open it anyway -
I see what you say in your last comment re the other side - this is because initially its hidden - you need to feel / reach inside the edge of the door - following the bowden cable to actuate the mechanism... but - be SURE to actuate the LOCK mech first - otherwise you wont be able to open the door even with actuating the lock. Follow the cable from the lock button to the mech to where it attaches to locate it.
Once open - the door that is - you need to proceed as follows to remove the mech.
1) Unhook the Bowden cable nipple.
2) Unclip the yellow door handle cable retaining clip from the little square retaining hole
3)Remove the T30 bolts
4) Slide actuator down and THEN unhook the "arced" wiring harness clip
5) Remove actuator (Keep the door handle thing attached)
Im sorry its not a nice task --- These take some doing / patience - I actually talked someone through exactly the same a couple of months back - same car - and he managed so I don't think you will have too many problems.
Let me know how you go -
Please dont forget the OK ratings for me. Thank you.
Rgds, MIKE.