Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My daughter has a 2006 Mini cooper automatic with about 100k

My daughter has a 2006 Mini cooper automatic with about 100k miles on clock. She finds that there is sometimes a delay in changing up. Any suggestions? Is it serious?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help - advise.
Can I just ask - check... you say this happened after a service / oil change -
Was the actual Auto Trans fluid changed - or are you meaning engine oil change...? Its not normal to change the trans fluid on a service but I need to check first on that-
Too - does she get any fault lights come on the dash at all?
Last - what type of garage did the service for her?
Rgds, MIKE..........................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter does not think it is related to the service or oil change as on questioning she thinks it may have also happened a couple of times beforehand. I know this sounds silly but it is difficult to remember as it is only an occasional fault.

It would have been an engine oil change - but in a Mini doesn't the engine and gearbox share the same oil?

No dashboard fault lights.

Large local garage - always seemed quite reliable. We are out in the country and nearest BMW garage quite a long way away.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John -
Thank you that does help.
just for your info on the old type yes they shared the engine oil but not on these no.
Given the car has 100k on it - and the symptom, I would suggest strongly to have the transmission oil flushed - and clean the internal filter and renew the trans fluid.
There is a good chance thats all this will be - I think you have caught it in early days...
I would strongly suggest to use if you can, an Auto Trans specialist if you have one near you - they are fully au fait with these - and have the tools / knowledge etc -- garages and dealers send such issues to these people - as they can do the jobs cheaper even if it comes to major work.
But thats certainly your first move on this now John -and all being well, that will be it.
They will also check it out for you at the same time.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.