Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 3 year old x3, completed 26k miles, manual. Recently

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old x3, completed 26k miles, manual. Recently the clutch over heating light has come on several times, BMW could not find anything wrong, this seems strange as driving habits have not changed
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is MIKE.. \can you tell me exactly what engine your X3 has...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is a 2 litre diesel engine
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Thank you for your reply / info there..I suspect, that this is actually a false warning from the Ecu ( control computer ) if you have no actual running / operational faults.. but it needs to be looked at properly.I have to say that without proper test equipment - electronic equipment that plugs onto the cars OBD port, you have zero chance of finding out whats happening here and /or fixing it..It will have to be connected as above and a fault scan done on the computer for fault codes - there should be some for the tech to work with and go from there -as the fault light comes on.I suspect he will find it to be as I mentioned above, or a faulty switch / sensor on the clutch circuit.I note you say the car is only 3 year old - if its out of warranty it will be only just.You will need the dealer to look at this as above for you because they have the dedicated equipment to check as above - but not only that - if the car is out of warranty - given it would be only just , I would hazard a guess that they will do all this FOC for you-- and IF they didn't... then given the above, I would strongly insist that they do- So that's the way forward on this one now for sure... Im sorry I cannot tell you its something you can do yourself - given the age of the vehicle and its complexity, as above, Im sure you can see why you will need dealer help on this.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did advise on my initial statement that the BMW garage has found nothing wrong with the car when they checked why the clutch over heating light was coming on, they have connected to their diagnostic tool and could not find anything wrong and were unable to identify why the sensor was coming on
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply.Yes I did note that you said, "Bmw could find nothing wrong"... but who else is going to be able to sort this for you. I can only proffer advice - as per what justanswer is all about - a tech help site. You are going to have to have suitable diagnostic equipment on the car to sort the actual fault.If your local / dealer you use cannot do it, then there is something wrong with them / their training - their equipment ( doubtful).. I suspect the former... they are not taking you seriously and we see / hear of this a lot.. a lot more than we should.You are once again, going to need equipment connected to the car to trace the cause of your fault - In these circumstances, I would suggest you will need to insist that they get it together and find the issue properly for you - and if they can't... then they need to contact BMW UK and get Tech help for themselves for you .. It is their responsibility to do this - though sometimes you have to remind them of that option -and insist.-- Obviously I cannot be there to do this for you - as above, I can only advise on the best course of action... In this case , the best advise is as above.If I tell you to start replacing certain parts etc , that would be wrong of me -and you would not appreciate what would be simply tantamount to guesswork without the proper tests..Again, then your next steps is as I have outlined above.. --- I would appreciate your clicking on the OK / Exc ratings for me at this point - Thank again.Again, should you need after, you can get back to me at any time.Best Rgds MIKE.