Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 54 reg 525 diesel has started to show false warnings - transmission,

My 54 reg 525 diesel has started to show false warnings - transmission, cruise control, fuel pump, restraint system - some prevent starting. After 3 or 4 attempts the car starts and all appears OK.
I have tried rebooting the computer by disconnecting the battery but this has not helped. The battery is relatively new and in good condition.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what faults are logged in the car's computer fault memory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this problem first occurred last week, I called the RAC and there diagnostic system could see all the "faults" I listed except the restraint one which only appeared today.
Am I able to access the computer data?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

a diagnostic scan tool is required to read out faults.

what you have listed are only driver warnings, not faults.

I take it the specific fault information is not available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the fault information is not available without aking the car to a repairer. My impression is that the warnings are false - one warning would suggest a true fault but 3 or 4 in quick succession suggests a computer error.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

it is true that there are not likely 4 seperate faults, but the fault logs are still necessary for verification of the true fualt.

most commonly a group of warnings like this would be caused by low voltage - so either a failing battery, alternator, bad connection/groupd or parasitic drain.

this is your most likely cause, and in fact the only common cause of issues like this

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** discuss with an independent BMW repairer.