Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 3 series e46 2005 330ci sport auto, 110,000 miles.

I have a 3 series e46 2005 330ci sport auto, 110,000 miles. It is running well except when you ease off the throttle to cruise at a constant speed, at say 40mph ( i.e. the throttle is neutral, not accelerating or decelerating) the engine does not feel quite comfortable and when you start to increase throttle there is a very slight hesitation before pick up. After that she is away.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
are you positive the "discomfort" is from the engine and not the transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes pretty positive. There is no knocking, judder or movement, just the engine feeling a bit uneven, not as smooth

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

there is nothing specific and common that causes this symptom

given the mileage of the vehicle I would suggest replacing spark plugs, coils, all oxygen sensors and the fuel filter - plus cleaning the throttle.

this should take care of any operating issues you are experiencing.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if the following info has any bearing on the problem but I have a simple BMW code scanner. It is not showing any fault codes with the engine but is showing the following in other scan.

92 CAN torque interface

91 CAN torque reduction

5E19 CAN data fault from DME/DDE

it also indicates that a rear wheel speed sensor is faulty but this has been replaced with a new one.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

those codes are very generic and vague as simple code scanner codes always are, so unfortunately they do not point to anything specific, only to a mismatch / miscommunication about torque delivery

with this codes, I have to suggest investing in a proper diagnostic with a full on factory BMW scan tool which can pull detailed codes are run appropriate test plans .