Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 318 ci coupe 2004. When I went to start the car the battery

BMW 318 ci coupe 2004.
When I went to start the car the battery was flat. The car was jump started. The revs on the car were going up and down. EML light came on. Turned it off and back on again, everything appeared ok. Drove about 15 miles and parked for about 3 hours. When I went to start the car again, the first turn of the key it appeared flat again but on the second turn it started ok. However the revs were again going up and down and on driving it was it was jumpy. Turned it off and on again and was able to drive back the 15 miles ok. Since then when I turn the car on the revs are still going up and down plus there is a slight burning smell. When I checked under the bonnet I could notice a very slight smokiness coming from around the top of the engine. The car has 90,000 miles, just fully serviced and was going very smoothly. I am a lady driver so I don't have the correct terms to describe properly.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi,

what question would you like answered about this situation? what information are you seeking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any ideas as to what the problem may be. I am not happy to drive the car at the minute.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

what you have described is consistent with a failed throttle body / throttle body wiring harness, or possibly another related electronic throttle control issue.

the next step to fully diagnose will be to have the computer fault logs scanned from the car using a BMW diagnostic computer at a properly equipped garage - this will inform additional hands on tests and required repairs (likely a replacement throttle)

please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the relationship of the throttle to the slight smokiness from the engine?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

it could be a leak or the electrical portion of the throttle burning up, or the wiring harness burning up

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If that is the problem what is involved in fixing it and roughly what sort of cost is involved?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

the fix is replacing the throttle body or harness as I suggested.

cost is approximately £500 for either fix.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just checking online about the problem you have suggested. Spotted a similar answer you gave one year ago which was almost simialiar word for word. Is your answer based on the fact that the EML came on. My EML light only appeared momentarily and has not come on since.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

my answer is based on the fact the eml light came on and also the revs going up and down. This is what was described in your post and is the only information I have to go on.

please let me know if there are further questions. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

I can see that you have rated my answer as poor, which PUNISHES me for taking time out of my day to answer your question and help you.

Please let me know what part of your question "Do you have any ideas as to what the problem may be" has not been answered.

I have answered this question and many follow up questions promptly and politely so I am not sure how my service could be considered anything but EXCELLENT

if no part of your question remains unanswered, please change your rating to OK / 3 stars or higher so that I receive proper credit for my time and answer out of the deposit which you have already paid.

thank you in advance.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

thank you in advance.

.