Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I've got a 07 bmw 320i petrol, it just hit 88k miles. I

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a 07 bmw 320i petrol, it just hit 88k miles. I had an oil service at bmw ***** *****. was a full service oil, plugs, all the filters etc.
was enroute to an airshow in surrey last Saturday, an I noticed upon pull off, oil smoke.
when your on the move there's nothing but once you stop in traffic, then pull off theres
all this oil smoke. when you start the car theirs no smoke but you can smell oil as the car begins to warm up through the vents inside the car. the car was fine before the oil change, the same thing happened last oil service.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I suspect that they may have slightly overfilled the engine and the excess is being forced out the breather and into the engineThe first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.If you do find oil replace the valve.