Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an error message on the dashboard of the car showing

I have an error message on the dashboard of the car showing the power system has failed. The power steering does not work now, what could be the problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what are the exact symbols / messages you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The exclamation mark with the steering wheel which is the power steering alert light, in red
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
you have asked "what could be the problem"
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
the answer is, the power steering drive could have simply failed, or there could be an issue with its power supply.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
most likely it is a simple failure.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Steve I wanted to know a little bit more. If it is a power steering "simple fail", does that mean that the Power Steering pump needs changing? Also can this be fixed by a calibration? I can move the steering but it is very hard without the power steering.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
this car does not have a power steering pump, it has an electric power steering column.the column / power drive unit needs to be replcaed. Approx $2700 plus labor.no, this is not a calibration issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Steve, It is at my mechanic I will find out tomorrow. I have already had 2 mechanics look at it and one says the pump needs replacing, another saw it Friday and he says it could be the calibration. So lets see what the third mechanic says and the cost to fix it.