Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Have BMW ever saw fit to recall the faulty seat mats that trigger

Have BMW ever saw fit to recall the faulty seat mats that trigger the airbag/seat beat pre-tensioner warning lights that seem to affect E60/E61s ? My E61 has repeatedly had the warning light come back on and Main dealer and local specialist have both cleared the fault which then recurs weeks later. Mine is the E61 from 2005 (535d touring) and now that the light is an MOT failure issue, I'm not keen to spend c. £600 for a new control module without a guarantee of a long term fix
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello,
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the answer to your question "Have BMW ever saw fit to recall the faulty seat mats that trigger the airbag/seat beat pre-tensioner warning lights that seem to affect E60/E61s ?" is yes, they have issued a recall in the USA for this issue: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V564000
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was aware of that but I was hoping that you might be aware of BMW doing something towards this issue in the UK. How can BMW issue recall in one market but not another where the problem is the same ? (or is that a supplementary question)
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
there is no similar recall in the UK. if there was your dealer would happily replace the mat free of charge.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
different markets have different regulations, and BMW postures differently in different markets.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
thus, different recalls.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
different warranties
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
different model / engine availability
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
different pricing
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup, thanks.