Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Ive got an 1995 316i compact and i was wondering if it was

Customer Question

Hi ive got an 1995 316i compact and i was wondering if it was chain driven.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Yes it will be chain driven engine the m43b16 engine 316i that was in the e36 compact will be timing chain..all BMW's pretty much are.I do hope this helps..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying. During heavy rain the other day , my compact almost lost power and lost revs .It that the electrics? Also when the car is idle the rev counts is abit up and down. Judders in reverse.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Most likely engine electrics..but it could any manner of things to cause that...id say if there's any engine lights on when this occurrs then plug in scan it to see if any codes are logged..obviously of course check the engine bay wiring..in particular the ignition system itself wiring..could well be water intrusion on the o2 sensors "exhaust" but again those have to be fully inspected to be honest...The idel issue? at a guess id say the idle speed control..which recall on that engine is on the side of the throttle body between the manifold and the rubber corigated intake tube or after airflow meter..basically a clean up job on the throttle body might be something to try out or have done aswell as ignition system inspection/vaccum system inpsection etc..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , thank you for your hope. I think its another trip to the garage .
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem...glad to help,should you need anything further/advice then just ask..Also please dont forget to rate one of the answers above..most appreciated..