Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 1998 520i petrol estate runs 20 mins and cuts

My 1998 520i petrol estate runs for around 20 mins and cuts out and will only restart after waiting around 20 mins. No misfires or rough running it just stops.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have called out the breakdown (Green Flag) but by the time they arrive the engine will restart.I can then drive for another15 mins/couple of miles and the car stalls/cuts out as I am driving. I have had the car for around 4 months and it has been fine; I have contacted the place I purchased the car from, and they informed me that prior to my purchase thay had replaced a crankshaft sensor and suggested an overheating fuel pump may be the fault.

NB the car is automatic.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the problem is most likely a failing fuel pump, or failing cam sensor or crank sensor.

the only way to verify will be to have fuel pressure and spark (or power at the fuel pump) tested after the car stalls, while the symptoms are still present.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle