Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a grinding noise with an occasional bang coming from

Hi I have a grinding noise with an occasional bang coming from drivers side rear wheel
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this sounds like a worn drive shaftjoint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, jack the car up and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. if this is OK then check for a worn suspensionjoints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do thisfor all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The grinding stops for a while after reversing then you get a thump as the grinding starts again no tears or leaks on anything on that wheel

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Ok in that case I'd also check the condition of the brake pads, ensure that the caliper moves freely on its sliders and if thats OK then its worth removing the brake disc entirely to check the condition of the handbrake shoes that sit inside it