Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2005 BMW 550 4.8litre V8 that has a smoking issue.

I have a 2005 BMW 550 4.8litre V8 that has a smoking issue. It doesn't smoke when starting up but when in heavy traffic or sat in queues it starts to smoke a greyish white smoke. When I pull away it gives out a big puff of smoke and stops. Also there is no loss of power and the smoke only comes out of one exhaust pipe as I have two pipes connected to their own separate box
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the problem is leaky valve seals. this is VERY common with your engine. They all start to do this as time / mileage accumulates.

you will need to have the valve seals replaced.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.