Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 03 bmw 530d manual (e39) and when I accelerate

Hi. I have an 03 bmw 530d manual (e39) and when I accelerate hard in first and let off the throttle there is a banging noise coming from underneath the car. I have had the car inspected by 2 different garages and so far I've had any suspension bushings it needed replaced (and arms too) I had the diff oil changed and the propshaft coupling joint replaced. It's still doing it. Any other suggestions would be great help, thanks. Peter in Ireland
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi shantal, no I still haven't discovered what the problem is with the car. It only makes the knocking noise under harsh acceleration in first and when letting off the throttle the banging almost sounds like the drivetrain flexing and knocking off the underbody or it could be the exhaust flexing and hitting off the underbody. I'm really not sure, any more information would be great, thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello this sounds like a worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts and look for any black oil around the mounts as they are hydraulic
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years