Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a e46 318i 2003. The check engine light is permanent

Customer Question

I have a e46 318i 2003. The check engine light is permanent on. The car has reduced power and once the engine gets hot after a while it the eml light comes on and th engine cuts out after a splitter. Error codes are p1063 and p1042. I've read across several Forums and guessing it's either I) vanos issue ii) camshaft sensor issues iii) camshaft solenoid issues. I'm not massively mechanically able but just don't want to get ripped off when I go to the garage! Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi,

can you please clarify what exactly you would like to know about this? did you want to know the possible causes? something else?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just wanted to know the most likely causes, what needs to be done to fix it and ball park how much it should cost at non bmw garage like a local one. Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve, I'm at work at the moment so don't have the car here. Can u advise without the VIN (out of interest and for my own knowledge how does knowing the VIN help)? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.