Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 318 SD(2006) - when I fill it with fuel

I have a BMW 318 SD(2006) - when I fill it with fuel to the top ie until the pump clicks and then drive home I can see fuel dripping on the ground on the fuel tank side just up from the tank filler. This stops once I have driven a bit.
I took it to the garage and they removed the back seat and checked out the tank, but couldn't find a specific leak - they did find a lit of dirt which they cleaned up and they did replace some clips. This seemed to stop the leak for a while, but it has started again.
Any suggestions ?
Regards,
Ian
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
hi
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
you have asked for suggestions
My suggestion would be to have the fuel system smoke tested to find the location of the leak. Driving like this is extremely dangerous, so I would not delay in having this done.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Steve - where do you think the leak is coming from ? I reckon it must be near the filler cap as it stops after driving a view miles, what components are there that could leak ? What's involved in a smoke test ? Ian
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
A smoke test pumps smoke into the fuel system using a machine similar to a fog machine. The smoke will escape through the leak location and reveal it.
The leak is likely from the filler neck or possibly the tank itself. It isn't really helpful to guess, proper testing needs to be carried out to verify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Steve - I would appreciate if you would make a quick sketch of the arrangement showing the components including seals and potential leak paths and send it to me. The leak appears to be intermittent and the smoke test may not reveal it. I wonder if some sort of air locks are involved.Thanks, Ian
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I have submitted a fair offer for your additional request as the original question - a request for suggestions - has been answered.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin of the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YG06 OAL - is this what you mean ie vehicle registration no. ?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
no, the vin number. the Vehicle Identification Number
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Steve, understood - I'll check and send in a couple of hours. Ian
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,Last 7 of VIN number are:KW83978.Regards,Ian
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
here are the diagrams you requested:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=VC12-EUR-02-2006-E90-BMW-318d&diagId=16_0595
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=VC12-EUR-02-2006-E90-BMW-318d&diagId=16_0599
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - these look useful in trying to pin point the leak. How do I pay for these diagrams ? Ian
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
that is already taken care of, approx. £3.5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you Steve.Ian