Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Gents. I have a new BMW 2series Active Auto 218I that seems

Hi Gents.
I have a new BMW 2series Active Auto 218I that seems to have to high a tickover so that when you lift your foot of the gas it does not slow at all? I have had 10 auto cars ,none have done this trick of giving no engine braking and I am using the brakes a lot , the gear box does not seem to respond either and change down. Dealer Sales Guy "says" you cant slow it down?
Thoughts would help before I take it back, Please...
Iain
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What rpm is it idling at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve.

Just started it up.... cold at 1200rpm Warmed up a bit dropped to 900rpm

Have to give it a good run for a true fig.

Does this help?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

what you have described sounds normal.

the idle can be reduced with a BMW programming/diagnostic computer, but it does not sound like anything is wrong with your car.

if you would like to prove this for yourself, I would suggest asking your salesperson if you can drive an identical / near-identical car on the lot.

if the idle reduction does not help / if you deem this behaviour to be too bizarre, then you will have to trade the car in.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.