Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Transmission fault 2006 740i. drove my car from cold this morning

transmission fault 2006 740i. drove my car from cold this morning for about 4 miles 3 of which I was following a tractor in country lanes at 20 mph. When I got to my destination I went to reverse into a parking place and my car would not go into reverse and a big round red warning sign came up on dash with a "drive moderately" warning on screen?.
Then tried "drive" but that stopped working as well which was perfect before I stopped.
Have tried disconnecting battery to reset it but didn't work. was told by a BMW garage about 18 months ago that my battery needed replaced but the car kept starting ok so I haven't bothered. I also had my heated seat on this morning when I was driving. could this have any bearing on my problem or am I on the wrong track?. Drew W.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
You have asked "could this have any bearing on my problem or am I on the wrong track"
The answer to your question is no, a low battery will not cause the transmission to fail to engage the gear, so, to answer your question directly, you are on the wrong track.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.