Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2003 X5 petril 3.0i manual 5 speed 111000 on clock

I have a 2003 X5 petril 3.0i manual 5 speed 111000 on clock with a strange problem. In days the gearchange has became stiff when trying to enter or exit all gears. The clutch feels the same and functions normally from pull away. From cold this morning I pull away, 1st to 2nd & 3rd o/k then within a 1/2 mile its difficult to change down as though the clutch is still engaged and holding the associated gear in mesh. Pushing the clutch pedal multiple time at this point, no change. No sycro grinding just stiff.
Local garage drove car and admitted it to be a strange fault, they put it on the ramp and underneath looks clean and gearbox oil is full and no excessive noise comming from anything.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Helloif you haven't already I'd try bleeding the clutch as it only takes a small amount of trapped air or old fluid to lose pedal effort I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt appreciate your thoughts to date. FYI The vehicle was driven 150 miles today so I note the following.. From standstill whether hot or cold all gears are selectable without any grinding or resistance to engage or disengage and the vehicle pulls away without issue, although I note there is a small judder from clutch operation which maybe acceptable due to age.. Once vehicle is moving say above 10 mph, then the reluctance to engage problem exists and is same in all gears. Double de-clutching makes no odds and pumping the clutch pedal between shifts makes no odds. I accept it's worth checking the clutch actuator cylinder and pipework as well as bleeding etc, However i would have expected a change to the situation when i pumped the pedal between changes if air was present.. I have also discovered this vehicle has a clutch release delay valve in the hydraulic circuit. Could this fail in a strange way? Also it has a Dual Mass Flywheel that I know nothing about..If this starts to fail could it in any way affect the clutch plate actuation when turning above a certain rpm stopping the clutch function. From the above I don't think its the actual gearbox so that's a relief. Thoughts welcome before I get local garage to check clutch area.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello thanks for the extra informationa dual mass flywheel won't effect your issue like this , when they fail you tend to get a 'rattle' especially at idle or possibly a 'shuddering' on pull away but the clutch delay valve is a possible issue as I've known these to stick , if you can remove it / bypass it then I'd try that next ( personally I can't stand them)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt. Booked it in for Monday having clutch hydraulics checked and bled. Will see if we can override the delay valve. Update you next week.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
good luck Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt Local garage found nothing wrong with clutch hydraulics cylinders etc. This left the true failure unresolved till short trip later in week when loud noise from engine on a gear change, clutch pedal became very light in action and only disengages gearbox at very bottom of pedal travel with loud wine on a standstill pull away. My guess its the clutch mech in some way is the problem and the noise is coming from the thrust mechanism.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd agree that this sounds like the clutch unit has brokenpossible the springs on the pressure plate sorry to say that the nest step is pull the gearbox off and inspect the clutch for damage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As this vehicle is a continuous money pit it is being advertised cheap "sold as seen" see if anyone wants it..
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
sorry to hear that if my answers have been helpful, would you mind leaving me a rating?
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years