Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an 2.0D E83,2005 X3. I cannot unlock steering column

I have an 2.0D E83,2005 X3. I cannot unlock steering column lock with key, despite really heavy pressure on steering wheel .
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What question did you have about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you try to turn key in steering lock it does not turn. Tried both keys, neither worked. Put a little WD40 in lock. One key now unlocks and starts car, the other will still not turn in lock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on what the problem is and how to cure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
unfortunately this suggests you have a failed steering lock and it will need to be replaced to rectify the issue.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the lock barrel, or the entire assembly?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
if the lock barrel turns it is probably the actual main steering lock in the column, not the barrel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like changing the lock Assy is quite straightforward for a auto technician. Any thoughts on time to change, assuming I can source a second hand lock assembly?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
2-3 hours. as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing, can I remove the locking pin or deactivate, the car is 11 years old so I'm not too worried about theft security
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I do not know of any way to over ride it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have identified that one of the two keys I have unlocks the car. The other key only unlocks the car after significant wiggling and then functions. Both keys are very sloppy in the lock barrel. Is it possible to remove and replace just the key lock itself?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is possible to replace just the key lock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I've ordered a new barrel from BMW to suit our keys, fitting at my local garage should fix the problem. Thanks again for your help