Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 08 reg 320i auto judders when moving off from standstill...

Hi, my 08 reg 320i auto judders when moving off from standstill... the fault code says it has something to do with the transmission, a mechanic said to run it at high revs on the motorway to try clean it out but has made no change to it.. He has said he feels its a gearbox issue but I am not sure, do you know if this was a common issue or have any idea what it could be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Warning light occasionally comes on then disappears after a few seconds, it says "engine fault! Reduced power"... When I let go of the accelerator and press it again it seems to go back to normal and warning turns off
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What faults are logged in the cars computer memory when scanned with a diagnostic machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not exactly sure, from what I understand from my local mechanic. The fault code had something to do with a build up/blockage in the cat or transmission... Sorry I can't remember exactly what he said but I do know he mentioned trying to clear it but doing a motorway run on high revs about 3500-4000 rpm
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
If the filter is clogged and it can't regenerate with a long hot motorway run then it may need to be replaced.
If your mechanic is not positive of the cause and can't diagnose it, you need to take it to a different garage - a main dealer or one that specializes in bmws
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answer, I'd rather have an honest answer than be given the run around and appreciate any help given, the mechanic only had a brief look and drive this evening as I was stressing quite a bit about it and wanted to know if it was safe to drive until he does the full check on Monday.. From your experience, would you go with exactly what is being displayed with the fault codes?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.
A proper bmw scan tool will read the faults and suggest test plans to run - I would trust the outcome of this testing