Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a BMW 318ci 2000, approx two weeks ago, drove the

Customer Question

Hi i have a BMW 318ci 2000, approx two weeks ago, drove the car as normal, parked up for about 10 mins with engine off , when attempted to restart the car dashboard lit up as normal when the key turned everything died, it seemed at first the battery was drained however the battery tester i have said other wise. eventually got it started with a jump start, Now it seems that the car will unlock and lock as normal but on occasions even after using the key to gain entry when you try to start the car it will do the same light dash and die ? found the only way to "sometimes" start the car is disconnect the battery and reconnect it or jump start, i have replaced the battery, again the tester says that and the alternator is fine .... my initial thoughts were that it could be something to do with the key fob itself as i recently replaced the battery in it, I've scanned the forums for many hours in a desperate search and the only thing i could come close to was the idea of an immobilizer issue
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello If you haven't already then check that the main battery connections are tight and corrosion free and also check the ECU fuse sockets and relay connections for corrosion and / or cracks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.