Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I've owned a 2009 318ise years problem free. now just

I've owned a 2009 318ise for 3 years problem free. now just had complete final drive unit failure & paid £1800 to be replaced by bmw main dealer.
Only 10 days after collecting the car it now doesn't go into gear..not any gear!
I can't drive it & BMW won't collect it.
can anybody advise me if the costly repair has caused this further problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
JA 5 star
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
It is unlikely that the original repair caused this - unless the resplendent unit was defective or installed wrong it isn't possible. If either is the case BMW should repair it free
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I've had absolutely no issues with gears or clutch previously. when I collected the car, changing gears felt tighter/different & I stated that on the test drive. it started not going into gear within a week, now nothing, car is immobile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe its unrelated
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Per my answer, if it was installed wrong or is defective it can be the cause. Simply having it replaced properly with a non defective unit can't cause a trans failure.
If the trans immediately felt different then it is clearly related ( I was not told this originally) but would be due to a defect or poor installation, not just simply the fact it was replaced, which is how the original question was worded
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but are they linked? seemingly the rear diff/final drive is linked to the transmission & or clutch
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Yes they all work together and are linked as part of the drive train , getting power from the engine to the wheels
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions, as the original question has been answered, please kindly click on a positive rating. If you would like to follow up at a later date you are free to dodo at no extra charge after leaving a positive rating