Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2003 BMW X5 4.6is with single axle air suspen sion

I have a 2003 BMW X5 4.6is with single axle air suspen sion and self levelling suspension with headlight aim control, now my headlight aim control is not working, where do I find the actual unit], BMW ***********
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you with this. Can you send me the last seven digits of the VIN number please and I may be able to find a component location with picture for you.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, the VIN number is *****
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will look this up now for you and reply back shortly.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. It is located behind the glove box as I suspected. I have a picture location from the repair manual that will help. I hope I have been helpful. Please remember to select positive feedback as this is the only way I receive credit for helping.Best Regards,Roger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes, I have looked there the only control unit that is there is the one for the Anti Skid Control, there is no Module for the headlight Aim there at all, mine must be a different version on the 4.6 is, thanks for trying anyway
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Let me take another look at the wiring diagram for you. Just a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes it is registered in Jan 2003, but build date of Oct/Nov 2002, it definitely has the Auto Leveling capability, with Air suspension on rear only with 2 Sensors on rear suspension and one on front Drivers side (UK). When you switch the lights on they come on Ok and both go down and up very slightly, but never come up to the right height for proper dipped beam. Its maybe an odd ball one one when they first fitted it to these X5s.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know if it is fitted with an LWR unit, I bought one off of ebay that is the part number I sent, but maybe my one it is incorporated in some of the other modules, maybe does not have one, I am also trying to fix an error where the dash constanly displays the error "Self Levelling Inactive", I have replaced the front sensor and the rear left, but I think I need to replace the right rear one as well now to cure it
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
There is another diagram for a vehicle with a different option. If the module is not there then you must have the option with the module built into the light control module. It sounds like the system is working due to the up down. That is a quick self check. The sensor only tells the ride height of the suspension. You can still adjust the headlights beam on the headlight itself up or down to adjust to the height you are looking for. They will then adjust according to load in the vehicle. I will attach the wiring diagram as well so you can take a look. I would just to a headlight adjustment to the level you want and then it should stay at that level. This module rarely goes bad. But hopefully an adjustment will correct this for you.As a side note, yes a bad self leveling sensor can effect the headlight adjustment. They all use the same reference voltage. After the sensor is replaced you will need the self level system reset at a BMW dealer to the correct ride height if you do not have a program to do this.I hope this helps. Please provide a positive rating. Thanks and I wish you the best!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that looks like the light module that I have in the passenger footwell, I think it must be incorporated, like you say I think I need to replace the other sensor then either reset it using DIS or take it to the dealers to reset.Thanks very much anyway for looking, I will leave a positive rating so you get paid.
Cheers Roger.