Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My x3 auto (07) is slow to respond when I try to accelarate

Hi my x3 auto (07) is slow to respond when I try to accelarate and wont go much past 2000 revs. please help
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello do you have any fault messages or check engine lights on? also when was the car last serviced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fault messages or engine lights on, car last serviced 10 months ago
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK 1st thing I'd check is the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oilfor your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help wil go through all the checks you have reccomended.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problem