Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Series 1 118d. Oil warning light came on, within 1 minute brakes

Series 1 118d. Oil warning light came on, within 1 minute brakes failed. Car towed and new oil pump and brake vacuum fitted. Car ran for 2 hours then made a lot of noise and now I have been told the engine is ruined as car ran too long without sufficient oil pressure before oil warning light coming on.
Can warning light fail? How do I know engine is dead, I been told lots of metal bits in sump.
What is best option going forward?
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to discuss on ***********
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
do you know what testing has been carried out to determine the engine is ruined?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None except the very loud clanging noise and metal filings in the oil sump.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
typically a leak down test or compression test can verify if serious internal issues exist.
based on what you have described they likely do.
to answer your other questions:
yes the warning light can fail, and the best option going forward is to fit a used engine.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's the fault of the warning light not coming on early enough (I drove for 1 minute with it on before the brakes failed) as I may have been driving with a pump problem for ages , can I not sue BMW who did a full service and timing chain change 800 miles prior?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need some sort of action against BMW as a second hand engine is expensive and none of this is my fault.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi,
I am sorry but you do not have any claim against BMW.
1) the car is out of warranty and this negates any claim regardless of anything, and any service they did isn't responsible for finding a problem that does not yet exist.
in addition, it is unlikely the sensor is actually defective (you asked if it was possible, which it is, but it is very unlikely) and it will also be impossible to prove that it was.
you can ask BMW for assistance in making the repair but they have zero responsibility for an our of warranty vehicle and any assistance would be at their discretion and is unfortunately unlikely.
as the original question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and multiple answers. thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems wrong that a mechanical failure after a service can cost me this much.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but that is the reality of owning a vehicle out of warranty.
as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just BMW goodwill, I will write to them. M
Are you from the UK?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Yes BMW of UK and your main dealer can both be asked. No I am not in the uk. As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the service not warrantied and can replacing the timing chain impact on the oil pump?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
service is not warranted, replacement parts are.
changing the chain should not impact the oil pump.
as the question has been fully answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
please kindly now click on a positive rating as the original question and several follow ups have been answered. thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the cars central computer register the time and length of the oil warning light being on?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
no it does not. Please kindly now CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer.
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert