Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My Z4 2.5 auto keeps going into neutral or safe mode any

Hi my Z4 2.5 auto keeps going into neutral or safe mode any ideas on likely cause?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello
what diagnostics have been carried out so far? any?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve, no diagnostics yet as car is not drivable. I moved it the other day and consistently kept going into Neutral after moving to Drive. Interested to know if this is a known issue and likely causes before I go through the expense of transporting to a garage.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
is it going into transmission safe mode or engine safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve, it has gone into transmission safety mode a couple of times (normally when driving) but mainly there is a beep and it goes into Neutral (when stopped and in first grear) and will not engage a gear until you turn off this engine and restart. Even then it can be a few attempts before it will remain in gear.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
unfortunately this points to an internal issue either with first gear or the valve body.
the first/next step will be to have the fault logs read from the car using a BMW scan tool
on a vehicle of this age, you will likely want to opt for a full rebuild or replacement regardless of the exact cauase
if you need a shop for this, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank appreciate the honesty
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating