Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have just bought a second hand 3 series with 50,000

hi. I have just bought a second hand 3 series with 50,000 miles on the clock. the car seems not to have been serviced much before I bought it and the previous seller had a black smoke issue which resulted in the car being serviced. The dealer then had to recondition the turbo before selling to me as there was a problem with it. Now, when I finish a journey there is a smell of smoke or burning. Is that normal with a re-conditioned turbo? The car has probably only done about 300 miles since the turbo was re-conditioned. Is it evidence of a bigger problem? Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there
Is this inside the vehicle or mostly outside?
Any issues performance wise? lack of power etc..or any tell tail smoke out the back when under throttle or at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiMostly outside the vehicle. The car drives normally except for the smell.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - and no visible smoke either under throttle or idling.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..thanks for your reply..
Normally turbo's dont give off any sort of burning or smells unless they are actually leaking or oil is laking from the centre housing..but of course being that its been replaced along with new feed/return oil lines ,gaskets..it shouldnt be an issue i would of thought especially so if done by the dealer itself..its pretty much likely to be another issue elsewhere..maybe leaking fuel injector or an oil leak thats causing the fumes smells outwith the car from the engine bay is more than likely.quite common for valve cover gaskets to do that..cant see it being the DPF as normally that doesnt pose a strong smell outwith the car during or after regeneration but can be known to give of alot of heat within the engine bay...id say as starting point at least is to basically check for external leaks on the engine itself in particular
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I will look at the car under the bonnet in the light tomorrow and let you know what I see if that's ok?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Ok..no probs