Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I find the X3 XDrive ( 2013 ) i am driving a bit heavy on the

Customer Question

I find the X3 XDrive ( 2013 ) i am driving a bit heavy on the steering until it warms up
particularly at lower speed on curvy country roads and getting out of the driveway .
on the open road it is fine and park easily . It is fitted with standard power steering .
Is that normal ? can active / servotronic be fitted ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
no it is not normal for the steering to be heavy at some times and not at others.
no, active/servotronic cannot be fitted.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be more specific , it is consistent but seems harder / heavier at low speed in tighter spaces where the maximum lock is needed . I have only had the car a few weeks and the drive is great . maybe it is something I have to get used to
I was driving VW Golf front wheel drive before ?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
the steering being heavier at low speeds is normal.
if it later becomes much lighter at the same speeds, this is not normal.
I would say it is unlikely that there is any mechanical issue, probably more of a perception issue, but it wouldn't hurt to have the steering system checked out