Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2007 X5 E70 3.0d and one of the timing chains has

I have a 2007 X5 E70 3.0d and one of the timing chains has failed resulting in damage to the valves. It has done 110k miles. It has been stripped down and needs the top end rebuilt. I this an isolated incident as BMW say? I spoke to a scrappie who said 110k miles in when the timing chain goes
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello
I will provide an honest answer, I trust that this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
timing chain failure at 110,000 miles is not common on this model. the timing chain is a lifetime part
thus, this is an isolated incident as BMW told you.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was told that the early engines (mine was a Nov 2007 car) have since had a modified timing chain?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
your timing chain is identical to the one used in a 2010 car. there was no change.
as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve this website says timing chains are an issue...http://prestige-german-engines.co.uk/engine-issues/bmw-timing-chain-failure/
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
that is hugely overblown by a company trying to sell repair work.
the n47 is the biggest issue engine. you have an m57n2 which is an updated m57 that does not have a lot of problems. sure some people run into issues, but they are isolated and it is not expected that a chain will fail at 110k.
to say that "110k miles is where an m57n2 timing chain fails" is completely false per my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmmm ok...