Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2004 BMW 120d fitted with a standard Business radio/cd.

I have a 2004 BMW 120d fitted with a standard Business radio/cd. Several weeks ago there was a complete failure of sound coming from any speakers. The radio unit however seems to function OK - power up; change station; even all the CD functions work OK.
I purchased a used Business radio unit form E bay and fitted it - still has the same fault.
I checked the fuses in the glovebox and relevant ones seem OK. Also had a look at the amp in the left hand boot area. Wiring seems OK ans no signs of PCB failed components.
Any suggestions what to try next and where the fault may be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the likely fault is a failure of the amplifier unfortunately
I would suggest checking ALL fuses as well as unhooking the vehicle battery for an hour to preform a hard reset, but most likely you will need to have a new amp fitted to correct this issue.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve
I will try the hard reset before committing to source a replacement amp. I will try it out tonight when I get home from work.
Are there any other fuse locations other than in the glovebox that need checking? I was wondering if there was a fuse in the boot or engine bay that covered the amp or associated sound system. Do you have any wiring diagrams that I can check with a multi meter to see if the amp is getting any power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve. I fitted a new amp but still the problem of no sound. Just to recap - replaced the amp in the boot; replaced the radio/cd player in the dash; checked all fuses; hard reset of the battery. Is there any other checks or compenets I can check?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if the amp was used it could be defective.
I would have the programming checked by BMW at this point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that entail and do I take to a BMW main dealer?