Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Series 1 bmw 2005 . A little rubbing/friction noise when steering

Customer Question

Series 1 bmw 2005 . A little rubbing/friction noise when steering wheel is turning. the noise is coming off the steering wheel inside the car.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this sounds like some dirt or debris is stuck in the top column bearing typically you can sort this out by removing the steering wheel and flushing the top bearing out with some penetrating oil when removing the steering wheel the key point is to ensure that the battery is disconnected for at least 10 minutes beforehand to prevent the airbag from firing