Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just replaced the engine in my bmw 318 (2002 NB42 20a engine)

Customer Question

I just replaced the engine in my bmw 318 (2002 NB42 20a engine) with a second hand unit. It was until I had finished installing the new engine that I noticed that the egr mounting on the exhaust side of the cylinder head had a blanked off casting and I was therefore unable to fit the egr valve. The car starts but runs really roughly. Is there any solution to this problem?
Obviously, gases are not being circulated and purged.
I'd be gratefful for your help.
Roger
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Roger,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello you may need to have the ECU re-flashed to remove the EGR capabilityengines do not 'need' EGR to run but your previous engine would have been calibrated to use it what happens when you just plug the EGR valve in?If this helps in any way then it might be worth contacting a ECU re-flash specialist to see if they can help such ashttp://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you