Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My daughter bought a used bmw 11d M Sport Convertible from

My daughter bought a used bmw 11d M Sport Convertible from a main dealer in June 2015. The car was just over 3 years old, March 2012. It came with a twelve month warranty.
She took it in to the main dealer yesterday as their was a burning smell inside the cabin.
Result is they wanted consent to take the gearbox out to check the clutch, as it may not be under warranty.
Well the upshot is they've quoted £1,800 for a new clutch and it's not covered by the warranty as it's due to wear and tear.
The car had covered 23,800 miles when purchased in June and my daughter has added only a further 4,000 miles since then.
Surely she was sold a faulty car and one that wasn't fit for purpose if it fails after just seven months?
Also, is it genuinely down to wear and tear or is it a parts fault or maybe a design fault?
Does anyone know if she has any recourse?
The dealer is insisting she is not covered under their twelve month warranty and not giving an inch.
Thanks,
Gary
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Was the warranty through BMW or a third party?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She believes the warranty is from either BMW or the BMW main dealer that sold her the car.
She wasn't handed written details of the warranty with her purchase receipt, so she doesn't have details to refer to.
The main dealer acknowledges it is under warranty.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
unfortunately the clutch is normally considered a wear and tear part
when they fail prematurely, it is usually long before 28,000
the specifics of the warranty will detail exactly what is and is not covered, and normally the clutch is considered wear and tear
the only thing I can suggest as a cost reducing option would be to request goodwill support from bmw
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.