Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Good morning, I have a BMW E46 M3 with the SMGII gearbox. Two

Good morning,
I have a BMW E46 M3 with the SMGII gearbox.
Two nights ago a warning light appeared and then the vehicle stuck in 5th gear, came to a halt and I could not move the vehicle.
After a few minutes of trying various gears & switching the engine on/off I decided to try & push the car to maybe nudge the car out of 5th gear, this worked & the car returned to Neutral.
I drove home carefully & the issue seemed fine for the rest of the evening.
The day after (Yesterday) was a disaster & this issue occurred 3/4 times & twice without the warning light evening illuminating.
The light came on this morning on the way to work but no noticeable issue with gear changes.
The issue I have is that I have SOLD the vehicle and they are due to collect tomorrow after viewing & test driving the car a week ago.
Is there any sort of quick way to diagnose the actual issue & then look at getting repaired quickly as I do want to continue the sale but very worried that if this issue happens when he picks it up then I could end up with a bigger issue & dealing with someone who is extremely unhappy that his new car has an issue that was not present this time last week.
Talk about the worst timing possible!!!!
If anybody can assist that would be great.
Daniel J Heaton
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you please confirm your question - do you want to know the quickest way to diagnose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Yes please. I would like your ideas on what the potential issue may be based on your experience & with that a possible fix if you know of one, this will then enable me to book it into a garage with at least a half diagnosis.Thanks,Dan
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the most likely cause is a failure of the hydraulic unit
the fastest way to verify is to have the fault logs read from the car using a BMW factory scan tool, and appropriate test plans run.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
..
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert